Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The key to a successful marriage.

4 Nephi 1:11-12,15-16

The Key to a successful marriage that I found today went back to the principles of the gospel vs. 12: they did walk after the commandments which they had received....continuing in fasting and prayer....meeting together oft both to pray and to hear the word of the Lord...

vs.15: "There was no contention among them because of the love of God which did dwell in their hearts, vs. 16 there were no envying's, strife....lyings....lasciviousness...and here is the most important part there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God". So that convinces me today that the key to a happy and successful life and marriage is not a clean house or flowers or romantic walks or talks, but to be living the gospel principles in your home....saying personal and family prayer, studying the scriptures, going to the temple, having family home evening.....but most of all doing it because you want to and because you want to have the blessings, and because you believe that it will bring you true happiness. (I do think the other things, flowers, clean house, romance etc... are important but those are the cherries on top of the foundation which is the cake, which is the gospel principles.)

I'm not preaching except to myself, cuz I can always do better, but I totally see this work in my life, when I look to others or the world for answers to life's questions I don't find true happiness but the most joy i've had is when i'm doing what i should, and staying close to the Lord. It's not the kind of happiness that you imagine you would feel, but more of a fulfilled sense of peace... and you aren't continuing a maddening process of trying to find something to satisfy your emptiness I am having a hard time trying to explain my thoughts but hopefully they make sense.

I am really blessed to have a family and most of all a husband who is willing to follow the Lord, and who is patient while I try to experiment upon the word (Alma 32). Life is kind of a trial and error and hopefully we can remember what works and do those things again
.

No comments: